Simon’s Town Museum is housed in “The Residency” which was built in 1777 as the winter residence for the Dutch East India Company Governor at the Cape. Simon’s Town Museum was established in 1977 by the Simon’s Town Historical Society. The Museum was originally housed in the old Simon’s Town Municipality complex but moved to “The Residency” in 1982. The building has a long history, having been used as a hospital, post office, school, customs house, police station, gaol and magistrate’s court. The Simon’s Town Museum collects and exhibits the cultural history of the people of Simon’s Town and their connections with the Dutch East India Company and the Royal Navy.