The Emma Animal Rescue Society
P.O. Box 22376
|Office & Kennels :||+27 21 7854482
||+2783 651 6343 Marilyn Hoole
+2771 864 4849 Mandy Store
|"We Turn Tears Of Sadness To Tears Of Joy"
"TEARS" was formally launched in January 1999, although it was working without a name before that. We fondly remember Emma as our friend with a great love of animals. Emma was part of our team and she was tragically killed two weeks before our society was officially formed and "TEARS" is named after her. "TEARS" is a pro-life animal rights society. Animals are only euthanased on the advice of a veterinarian when factors such as quality of life and risk of passing disease to other animals have been fully considered.
|What Does "TEARS" Do?
- "TEARS" is run by a committee, ably assisted by a team of volunteers, and is purely voluntary.
- We rescue dogs, puppies, cats and kittens from abuse, cruelty, neglect and starvation and offer shelter to abandoned animals. They come from the townships, the freeways, and industrial and residential areas.
- We run an informal clinic from a shipping container in the centre of Masiphumelele (Site 5) on the Kommetjie Road, offering basic help to the township animals, such as dipping and de-worming, arranging for spays/neutering, homing puppies, hospitalising injured animals, supplying kennels, collars and limited food. We are also active in the Ocean View, near Kommetjie, and visit the Red Hill informal settlements once a week, providing the same services as we do for Masiphumelele.
- We also respond to hundreds of calls for help from the general public from areas ranging from our local communities to as far as the Northern Suburbs, Milnerton and Table View.
- All our rescued animals are vaccinated, de-wormed and sterilised by veterinarians.
- People wishing to adopt an animal are interviewed either personally or on the telephone and home visits are made to ensure the home is suitable, e.g. high walls, warm sleeping conditions, being taken in as part of the family, regular exercise, veterinary care when necessary.
||"TEARS" Urgently Needs...
Our dream is to purchase a suitable piece of land on which to erect 'rescue' kennels and a cattery. We would also need to erect 'boarding' kennels as a source of revenue to enable us to continue our rescue operations. A sterilisation clinic is urgently required to eliminate indiscriminate breeding.
- Our veterinary bills exceed R30, 000,00 per month for which we require sponsorship.
- Temporary foster homes for rescued dogs, puppies, cats and kittens.
- Volunteers to assist with transportation, home checks, manning stalls at craft markets and administration.
- Bric-A-Brac, Books, Old Clothes - in fact anything we can sell to raise funds.
- A voluntary Fund Raiser.
- For the animals : Kennels, Food, Blankets, Bowls, Collars and Leads.